Pre and Postnatal Massage
Getting regular massage is a great way to support the body as it adjusts to the changes that occur during pregnancy. Studies have shown that pregnancy massage helps improve mood, decrease swelling, ease pain, decrease depression and anxiety and increase relaxation.
All of our therapists are trained in pregnancy massage and will modify treatment techniques and positioning depending on the presenting trimester. Our therapists focus on meeting the therapeutic needs of the client as she goes through the physical and emotional changes related pregnancy.
During the first and second trimester of pregnancy, massage therapy treatments are generally recommended once a month. As the third trimester approaches, treatments can be increased to twice a month to address aches and pains related to postural and hormonal changes. Closer to the due date treatments can be booked weekly to prepare the body and mind for labour.
Benefits of Massage Therapy during Pregnancy
- Relieves stress and promotes relaxation
- Relieves muscle tension, spasms and cramping
- Relieves sciatic nerve and joint pain
- Relieves headache discomfort
- Increases circulation of blood and lymph
- Decreases swelling in arms and legs
- Relieves stress on weight-bearing joints
- Provides emotional support and a nurturing touch